Dogs have killed 10 Americans in the first 9 weeks of 2014. In 6 of these fatal incidents, the dogs were pit bulls. The other dogs were a Labrador retriever mix, a large German shepherd mix (involved in the same incident as the Labrador), a Rottweiler, and two bullmastiffs (in separate incidents). All killings were from maulings, except one which was a heart attack that occurred as a result of breaking up a fight among the victim's own 7 pit bulls.
The child victims
Six of the victims were children, 3 killed by pit bulls:
- Kara Hartrich, age 4, in Bloomington, IL, on January 17, 2014.
- Je’vaeh Mayes, age 2, in Temple, TX, on February 17, 2014.
- Braelynn Rayne Coulter, age 3, in High Point, NC, on Februrary 25, 2014.
- Summer Sears, age 4, in Tallassee, Alabama, on February 26, 2014 (a Labrador retriever mix and large German shepherd mix).
- Unnamed as yet, a boy, age 13, in Patterson, New Jersey, on February 28, 2014 (bullmastiff).
- Unnamed as yet, a boy, age 2, in Killeen, Texas, on March 1, 2014 (bullmastiff).
The adult victims
Two of the victims were adults who were bitten by pit bulls:
- Christina Bell-Burleson, age 43, in Houston, Texas, on January 5, 2014.
- Klonda Richey, age 57, in Dayton, Ohio, on February 7, 2014.
One adult victim was killed by a Rottweiler:
- Annabel Martin, age 89, in Corona, California, on January 26, 2014.
The fourth adult victim died of a heart attack immediately after breaking up a fight between his 7 pit bulls and pit mixes:
- Carlos Eligio Trevina, age 54, in Idaho Falls, Idaho, on January 9, 2014.