A structured settlement is a payment arrangement that is tailored to meet the financial needs of the victim, prevent dissipation of settlement money through unnecessary purchases, bad investments and fraud, and provide a favorable, tax-sheltered investment.
- The mechanics of a child's structured settlement
- Annuity vs. bank account
- Sample structured settlements
- Determining the net settlement
- Evaluating the annuity issuer and surety
- Internal Revenue Code provisions
- Special Needs Trust
- Medicare Set-Aside
Lawyers also should read Tips and tricks for victims' attorneys to learn how to avoid traps for the unwary in structured settlements.